Monday, January 24, 2005

Life & Times of Michael K


Life and Times of Michael K
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
This time around, I will be attempting the Oral Interpretation event at the Forensics, in which participants are required to read a selection of poetry or prose, between five and seven minutes.

I have chosen John Michael Coetzee's (pronounced koot-ZEE, like Tootsie) Life & Times of Michael K, as it is a work of obvious literary merit (Booker Prize) and probably won't be used by other participants due to its relative obscurity.

Anyway I've decided to watch the movie Hotel Rwanda, which recently earned Don Cheadle a Golden Globe nomination, to work on my African accent as Michael K is a South African trying to escape the African War under Apartheid rule.

Does anyone know of any other good African movies, media resources and/or documentaries? I need some help in visualising the setting and atmosphere so it can be well projected into my interpretation of Coetzee's work.

It's a good time to actually finish reading the book, which I bought sometime in the third quarter of last year. I've this bad habit of buying books and leaving them unfinished, so here's the first wake-up call of 2005!

No comments: