Saturday, January 15, 2005

Roses and Thorns


Rose
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
Inspired by the POS Malaysia 'Roses' stamp collection, I decided to read passages in the Bible that referred to thorns for devotion yesterday.


There is Genesis 3:17-19, "Cursed is the ground because of you... It will produce thorns and thistles for you..."

Matthew 13:7, "Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants."

Matthew 27:28-29, "[The Roman soldiers]... twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on [Jesus'] head..."

2 Corinthians 12:7-9, "...there was given me a thorn in my flesh... Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'"


To see the unspeakable beauty of something like a rose in tandem with the terror of thorns, is sometimes paradoxical in a bittersweet way.

It reminds me of an advertisement I saw on TV quite long ago:

You may complain that roses have thorns
Or you may rejoice that thorns have roses


Amen.

No comments: