Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Cecil B DeMille Award


Robin Williams
Originally uploaded by mincaye.
At this year's Golden Globes, the Cecil B Demille Award went to Robin Williams.

His was probably the longest (and funniest!) acceptance speech, and somewhere near its end, he said something that I now consider the most significant moment of the awards ceremony:

"Thank you to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association [who decide on the awards recipients] for recognizing comedy..."

And, gesturing to Jim Carrey,

"Jim, you know this..."

And Carrey nods.


For a long time, these two actors were my favourite, partly because I loved comedy, and partly because at that time, they were the comedians.

As it appears, they still are.

Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, Mrs Doubtfire, Mork and Mindy, Patch Adams, Good Morning Vietnam, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Bruce Almighty, to name a few of their outstanding works.

I was reminded of what made me like comedy in the first place, and in particular, their brand of it. They take it so seriously, and along the way, make me, in Pierce Brosnan's words at the Golden Globes,

"cry laughing, and laugh through tears"


In a rather distant comparison, someone once observed that U2 had two hopes of making it big: Bob Hope and no hope.

Some of the things I cherish most, are almost laughable, and some of the best experiences I've ever had, are wrapped in humour.

But I guess that's what makes us all human. And laughter's immortal, really.

No comments: